TWELVE REASONS TO CHOOSE UAS
1. ENGLISH LANGUAGE PROGRAM: UAS provides an English-language educational program based on a North American educational philosophy. All classes are taught in English, except those that are part of the Uruguayan Program. UAS teachers are either native English-speakers or bilingual English and Spanish speakers.
2. ACADEMIC EXCELLENCE: UAS provides a challenging university preparatory program. All students are expected to meet rigorous, world-class academic standards. Certified and experienced teachers devote individual attention to ensure that students learn.
3. PREPARATION FOR WORLD-CLASS COLLEGES AND UNIVERSITIES: The challenging academic program prepares students for success in college. UAS graduates have been admitted to some of the world’s finest colleges and universities, including:
A comprehensive standardized testing program from grades 2-12 includes college readiness assessments and admissions exams. UAS is the approved SAT test administration site in Montevideo and provides SAT test preparation.
4. INTERNATIONAL LEARNING ENVIRONMENT: UAS is an international school with students representing more than 35 nationalities, including our host country of Uruguay. The teaching faculty is composed of certified international educators from the United States, Canada, Uruguay, England, Australia and Brazil. Appreciating others’ differences and developing a global perspective are ideals that are embraced at UAS. One example of this is MUN (Model United Nations) as an elective subject for Seniors.
5. DEVELOPMENT OF THE WHOLE CHILD: We believe that education involves developing students’ academic, physical, social, emotional, and artistic potential.
6. NORTHERN HEMISPHERE SCHOOL CALENDAR: The UAS school year follows a northern hemisphere calendar (August – June). Our calendar aligns with other international schools around the world and with universities in the northern hemisphere.
7. U.S. ACCREDITATION AND URUGUAYAN MINISTERIO APPROVAL: UAS is fully accredited by the NEASC (an independent, voluntary, nonprofit membership organization which connects and serves over 2,000 public and independent schools, technical/career institutions, colleges and universities in New England plus International Schools in more than 65 nations worldwide), and is approved by the Uruguayan Ministry of Education. UAS has been also approved to offer the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Programme as of August 2013.
8. AFTER SCHOOL ATHLETICS AND ACTIVITIES PROGRAM: Elementary after school activities include karate, art, Portuguese, dance, and swimming, among others. Secondary students may join UAS’s swimming, volleyball, basketball and/or soccer team. Teams travel to compete against other international schools through the South American Athletic Conference (SAAC).
9. TECHNOLOGY: Up-to-date hardware and software is used by students and teachers to enhance learning. Parents and students have online access to the library collection and teacher websites to check homework and download files shared by their teachers.
10. INDIVIDUAL ATTENTION: UAS is committed to maintaining small class sizes and an ideal student/teacher ratio.
11. COUNSELING SERVICES: Counselors work with students, parents, teachers, and administrators to ensure the optimal development of every student’s academic, personal and social potential.
12. VISIONARY LEADERSHIP: The dedicated Board of Directors and the US-certified and experienced international administrators are committed to a long-range vision of providing an excellent international education for families living in Montevideo.