The Uruguayan American School was founded on April 14, 1958 by a group of Uruguayan and U.S. citizens residing in Montevideo. Their goal was to promote an intercultural understanding between Uruguay and the United States and to provide a U.S.-style education in Uruguay which included the curricular programs of both countries. In the early days, most students were U.S. citizens or Uruguayans whose parents chose this kind of education for their children. Over the years, as the school grew and added programs, the student body became more international. Nowadays over half of the students are from countries other than the United States and Uruguay. There are over 35 nationalities represented in our student body.